Mozilla released Firefox 126.96.36.199 on Friday 30-nov-2007, at 1:30pm PST.
From “do we need a release” to “release is now available to public” was almost 3 days (71.5 hours) wall-clock time, of which Build&Release took 36 hours.
13:50 27nov: decide bug#405584 regression in FF188.8.131.52 justifies producing a quick FF184.108.40.206 to address
16:00 27nov: Dev says “go”
17:55 27nov: 220.127.116.11rc1 builds started
19:45 27nov: linux builds handed to QA
21:45 27nov: mac builds handed to QA
12:50 28nov: win32 signed builds handed to QA
16:00 28nov: update snippets on betatest update channel
10:45 29nov: QA says “go” for Beta
14:30 29nov: update snippets on beta update channel
17:00 29nov: Dev & QA says “go” for Release; Build starts final signing, bouncer entries
19:00 29nov: final signing, bouncer entries done
07:00 30nov: mirror replication started
13:30 30nov: update snippets on live update channel; website changes finalized and visible; release announced
1) This was a really fast release!! Despite the fast turnaround, it felt like things were still running in a controlled calm manner, we still covered everything we usually do, and even improved on the process a little. All great things to see. The Build Automation used in FF18.104.22.168 was identical to what we used for FF22.214.171.124, so this was still not yet a “100% human free” release.
2) bug#405643 was reported as another regression in FF126.96.36.199. However, we confirmed it was actually a feature of fixing security bug#369814, and proposed a workaround for LotusDomino servers.
3) For this one fix, we decided not to wait for a beta period, as it was a one line fix already landed on trunk back on 11th Oct. However, we still wanted to move people who were using FF188.8.131.52beta forward to FF184.108.40.206beta. This meant we still needed to push update snippets out on the beta channel and test appropriately.
4) During 220.127.116.11, we had to hold the release a few hours, waiting for some website changes to be finished. In a process change for FF18.104.22.168, we started the website and release note work much earlier, starting when QA says “go” for beta. This change helped, and we plan to do this for future releases.
5) We waited until morning to start pushing to mirrors. This was done so mirror absorption completed as QA were arriving in the office to start testing update channels. We did this because we wanted to reduce the time files were on the mirrors untested; in the past, overly excited people have post the locations of the files as “released” on public forums, even though they are not finished the last of the sanity checks. Coordinating the mirror push like this reduced that likelihood just a bit.
6) Mirror absorption took 3 hours to reach all values >= 60%.